Please appreciate the rainbow hue of colors in the popcorn seasoning lineup.
There's 10 flavors to try. It was actually a 12 pack of these mini seasonings, but there were duplicates of White Cheddar and Nacho Cheese. And what's that? Salt is a flavor? That was a little disappointing to be honest.
But, we're still trying it. That leaves us with: Popcorn Salt, Butter, Ranch, White Cheddar, Bacon Cheddar, Nacho Cheddar, Kettle Corn, Garlic Parmesan, Caramel Corn, and Cheesy Jalapeño.
Not wanting to skew our taste test with any external flavorings, we used a newly purchased Chef Buddy bowl to pop a lot of popcorn with just kernels. No oil or anything else needed.
We've got our line-up. After coming out of the microwave, all popcorn has been hit with a quick spray of canola oil and seasoned with their respective flavor.
We worked our way down the table, everyone grabbing a few pieces and giving comments.
But just about all of them were tasty, so there was a lot of "mmm, that's good" going on.
Alli is working her way up to being a spicy food lover. Ian can read the labels and when he read "jalapeño" he wasn't very excited to try it. Alli was though! She's trying eating more and more spicy foods. She goes though water, but it doesn't phase her.
All the flavors tested, it's time for the votes.
There's a variety of people, so there's a variety of favorites.
First up, Popcorn Salt was the favorite of Grammy.
In a surprise to no one, Ian loved Ranch.
Alli really wanted to pick Cheesy Jalapeño as her favorite. When pressed though, she chose Nacho Cheddar, and Cheesy Jalapeño as a close second.
The winner for the day though was Garlic Parmesan. It was the favorite for the three of us.
Finishing up the last of the pieces of Ranch popcorn. And then using his finger to get any leftover seasoning.
We made pretty good work on almost all the flavors. Almost all. Let's give a run-down, by order of color.
- Bacon Cheddar - Yuck! What a bad flavor to start with! Alli said "it tastes like smoke!". It does taste like smoke, but not bacon. We took a vote. Everyone agreed it was the worst flavor here.
- Kettle Corn - Alli said "this one is much more better" and "it has sugar?". Yes, it's definitely got sugar. It's very sweet if you're looking for that kind of thing.
- Nacho Cheddar - You've had this one before. It's cheddar popcorn and it's delicious. Alli's favorite.
- Butter - How do you get butter flavor with a powder? Well with this one, you don't. All of us were trying to pick up some extra flavor. It was yellow, but that's about it.
- Cheesy Jalapeno - The first bite, there's wasn't too much to it. But then a little bit of that heat hits you in the back of the throat. I like it.
- Garlic Parmesan - Who doesn't love garlic? I love garlic. And cheese too? Oh yeah. It's great. Grandpa, Theresa, and my favorite.
- Ranch - Having ranch popcorn is pretty good. I usually like to mix a few flavors together in a bigger bowl and ranch is usually one of them. Ian's favorite.
- White Cheddar - It's cheese. It's good.
- Popcorn Salt - I know the popcorn salt has a much finer grain than regular table salt. If you're in the mood for salty starch, good on you. Have this one. Not for me.
- Caramel Corn - Another sweet one. Not as good as having really caramelized sugar coating all the kernels, but still tasty.
All the bowls are empty except one. Per Theresa, that Bacon Cheddar can go into the trash can.
Whoa...Garlic Parmesan is the big winner...too bad about the Bacon Cheddar, especially since bacon is usually a tasty breakfast treat. I'm leaning towards the Ranch, Ian's favorite, since I'm not much of a cheese person :-) Those seasoning bottles are colorful and have a cute caricature face on it. Since popcorn is so light and fluffy, it's easy to eat a lot of popcorn in just one sitting, especially if it's seasoned well! The seasoned popcorn taste test was certainly a fun one...nice sampler find by Theresa. EOMReplyDelete