Here's a taste test the kids were really excited for. It's soda!
But not just any soda. This is Squamscot soda! For the past 5 generations, since the time of the American Civil War, 1863, the Connor family has been bottling sodas!
There's also a whole bunch of different flavors and we're going to try them all! A few weeks ago, I was able to find 20 different Faygo flavors. Today we'll be sampling 22 different Squamscot flavors!
- Birch Beer: Only the Flowers family has tried Birch Beer before when we did our test a few weeks ago. I can taste the wintergreen. Ethan - It tastes like root beer and mouthwash together. Theresa - Birch Beer is Pepto Bismol in a bottle with carbonation. It's a good thing to coat our stomachs with this before we drink all the other ones so we don't get sick. That's awful.
- Black Cherry: Ian - Black Cherry is fantastic. This is the best one. Ethan - It's got the grenadine flavor. Abby - It's very cherryiey. It tastes like fresh cherries. Rita - It's a little lacking in carbonation. Aubrey - Way better than Birch Beer. Tyler - A little bit of a diet cola aftertaste.
- Blueberry Lemonade: Abby - I think I'm going to like this one. Aubrey - I get blueberry lemonade slurpees at 7/11. Tyler - It doesn't quite have the smell I would think blueberry lemonade would have.<then we taste it> Rita - Oh. Ohhh. Donald - It must be nice! Rita - It's not nice. It tastes like cleaner. Like Pine-Sol. Ethan - It's better than the Birch Beer. (approvals around the table). Cue another round of people rinsing out their cups.
- Cherry Cola: Donald - This is going to be wonderful. Ian - Best one so far! Agreements from Abby, Donald, Tyler, and Theresa. Donald - That's unique. It's two distinct flavors. It's really good. Sheila - It could use more fizz.
- Cola: It really comes down to personal preferences with cola. Abby - Better than Coca-Cola. Tyler - I'd rather have a Coke. Richard - Maybe a Royal Crown Cola flavor.
- Cream Soda: Rita - I'm not crazy about that cream soda. That garnered disagreements from around the table. Amy - I like Cream Soda. It tastes like there's a malt flavor to it. Ian - I love it! Abby - I really like it.
- Creamy Orange: Abby - That's good! Like a Creamsicle! Aubrey - I like Creamy Orange. Sheila - I want it to have more of an orange taste.
- Fruit Bowl: This was a surprise. Everyone was expecting some version of Hawaiian Punch. Amy - Oh my word, this is so good. This tastes just like cotton candy! So good! Donald - It's half cotton candy and half Squirt. There was a bit of disagreement on this one. Some thought it was wonderful (those who liked cotton candy). Others did not care for it at all. Ian - Fruit Bowl is one of my favorites. Alli - Me too!
- Ginger Beer: Donald - I'm going to like this one. I love ginger beer. Ian - sips it and immediately spits it back into his cup. Amy started cackling. Sheila - Anyone else's mouth burning from that one? Amy - My nose is burning. Ethan - That is so not good. The ginger beer is nasty. Ian - Least favorite! Abby - That is so bad. Tyler - That is really strong. Like wasabi ginger beer. Mickey - It tastes like ginger! I like it.
- Golden Ginger Ale: Abby - Better than the ginger beer. Theresa - It's like mild ginger beer. Tyler - Same flavor, but less potent.
- Grape: Alli - I love grape! Abby - It tastes like a melted purple popsicle. Like the Otter Pops. Theresa - I don't care for that one at all.
- Half and Half: Tyler - Half and Half of what? Alli - I like Half and Half. Abby - It's yummy. Very refreshing. Richard - Like Fresca. Theresa - I'm okay with Half and Half.
- Lemon Lime: Alli - Oh it's so good! Abby - I feel like it doesn't really have a flavor. Tyler - It really doesn't. Unless the other stuff coated our tongues. Amy - Or the ginger beer burned our taste buds. Theresa - It's very mild. Mickey - I like the Lemon Lime one.
- Maple Cream: Rita - I'm afraid of that one. Amy - I'm excited. Around the table, exclamations of Oh My, and Wow start as people start tasting it. Joe - It tastes like you're drinking Maple Syrup. Amy - Like you're drinking Maple Icing. Makes me want a pancake.
- Orange: Ethan - I like the orange one. Alli - It is so good but I like Creamy Orange better. Tyler - It's better than grape! Ian - I give Orange 5 stars.
- Pale Dry Ginger Ale: Theresa - Oh no, more ginger. Ian - Can I just skip this one? Donald - I like it. Around the table, most people like this one better. It's got a much more mild and sweet taste. Like Canada Dry Ginger Ale.
- Raspberry Lemonade: After the Blueberry Lemonade, the table was a little worried. Alli - This is so good! Donald - That's not my winner. Amy - It's not so bad. Donald - I'm sorry Mr Squamscot, that almost hit my gag reflex. Abby - I liked this one. Still, it triggered another run to the kitchen for everyone to rinse out their cups.
- Root Beer: Tyler - I like that one. Sheila - It's promising, but it has a flat taste at the end. Tyler - It's much better than the lemonades. Abby - It's got a little bitter aftertaste. Ethan - It tastes like the Root Beer barrel candies.
- Sarsaparilla: Abby - The Root Beer is better than the Sarsaparilla. Alli - I like the Sarsaparilla better than the root beer. Donald - I'm just getting a lot of flavors right now. My taste buds don't know which way is up.
- Strawberry: Amy - That tastes like strawberry Jell-O. Agreements all around, but not many who like it.
- Tonic Water: Questions from the table "What is Quinine?" Theresa - I'm guessing something that doesn't taste good. Sheila - Isn't quinine medicine? <then we taste it> Tyler - Oh good grief! Sheila - Oh, nasty! Aubrey - Beverly! Abby - It's worse than Beverly. Donald - And it won't go away! Amy - That is bad! Richard - That'll get ya. Ethan - It tastes like the numbing shot they give you at the dentist's office. Rita - Why would you even make that? Abby - I couldn't even swallow it. Ian - I give it zero stars. Aubrey - That's the worst thing I've drank in my life. Tyler - If we would have started with that, I would not have finished. Almost everyone left to go rinse their cups out.
- Yup: Alli - It tastes like Sprite. Tyler - Much better one to end on. Aubrey - It's terrible (wait Aubrey, you drank your leftover Tonic Water again, and not your new cup). Oh, okay, this is better.